Customer Bill of Rights
1. You have the right to utility service if you are a qualified applicant.
2. You shall not be asked to pay unreasonably high deposits as a condition of service, nor to make unreasonable payments on past-due bills.
3. You are entitled to at least one deferred payment plan in one year.
4. You have the right to have any complaint against your utility handled promptly by that utility.
5. You have the right to call the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (BPU) to investigate your utility complaints and inquiries. Your service may not be terminated for non-payment during a BPU investigation.
6. If you suspect your meter is not working properly, you have the right to have it tested free of charge, once a year by your utility.
7. You have the right to a written notice of termination ten (10) days prior to discontinuance of service for non-payment of bills.
8. Your residential service may not be shut-off on holidays, weekends, or the day before a holiday or weekend, or if you have a valid medical emergency.
9. If you live in a multi-family dwelling, you have the right to receive posted notice of impending shut-off. This notice must be posted in a common area and/or sent individually to occupants.
10. You have the right to have a “diversion of service” investigation if you suspect that the level of consumption reflected in your utility bill is inexplicably high.